One of the things that seems evident after making this quiz is the end of the idea that behind its defenses, the human body is sterile.
Previously, there was an idea that the immune system was some kind of military force and that disease was just a battle to be won.
Today I am convinced that the immune system is more like a cleaning woman. When she is not too burdened, housekeeping is easy and efficient.
But when there is too much work to do during the day, well things get put off.
Answer key for Infectious Chronic Inflammatory Diseases Quiz
1. Aspergillus flavus is a common mold or fungus. Certain strains produce aflatoxin, which is a most potent natural Carcinogen, especially damaging to the liver
2. Cervical cancer starts in the cervix, the lower part of the womb (uterus) that opens at the top of the vagina. Symptoms: Most of the time, there are no symptoms early on, which is why pap smears are essential. _______________ seems to be crucial in the progression of almost all cases of cervical cancers
C. Human Papillomaviruses
3. Peptic ulcers are the most common ulcer of the gastrointestinal tract usually acidic and very painful. In 2005, Barry Marshall and Robin Warren won awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their discovery that peptic ulcer disease (PUD) was primarily caused by
Timeline of peptic ulcer disease What is amazing before 1985 the errwords errphrases associated with the supposed causes of peptic ulcers were numerous:
stress related, genetic factors, type A personalities, lifestyle factors
many of these errwords are linked with diseases as diverse as cancer and diabetes.
4. Helminth infections or worms, like Schistosoma haematobium and Opisthorchis viverrini, are carcinogenic to humans, while others can
Facilitate malignancies This whole idea that parasitic worms can cause cancer seems at first glance absurd.
The role of helminth infections in carcinogenesis
5. Not all of Rheumatoid Arthritis has been linked to this pathogen. However, at least one type of Arthritis is caused by
D. Borelia burgdorferi see Lyme disease
6. No matter what inflammatory disease occurs the human body initiates an anti- infectious strategy known as Iron Withholding
True see also Human iron metabolism
7. Helicobacter pylori has been shown to be also linked to the development of stomach cancer. True or false:
strangely enough, over 80 percent of individuals infected with H. Pylori are asymptomatic and some suspect that this bacterium
plays a role in the natural ecology of our stomach.
True one sad note Barry Marshal in order to prove the link between H. pylori and ulcers infected himself. He later died of stomach cancer.
8. There are many forms of Dementia and one of them, Creutzfeldt–Jakob is transmissible. The infectious protein is called a Prion
9. Atherosclerotic Vascular Disease
where an artery wall thickens with the accumulation of fatty materials such as cholesterol
is classified as a chronic inflammatory arterial response caused largely by the accumulation of macrophage white blood cells . The culprits are supposedly low-density lipoproteins Yet in the plaque that is formed has been found
A. Periodontal or Oral Bacteria
see: Live Oral Bacteria Found In Arterial Plaque
10. The bacteria Borelia burgdorferi also produces myocarditis, cardiomyopathy, arrythmias, arthralgia, meningitis, neuropathies and facial nerve palsy
Bonus Question: Name some diseases where Candida and other Opportunistic Fungal Pathogens make an appearance in their terminal stages.
HIV, cancer, diabetes etc. the list is endless just about all of the inflammatory diseases mentioned in the quiz and so on.
Would you like to multi search some Medical topics?
Tired of this serious stuff? Want to read a comic book on Nurses from the sixties?